3-on-3 Basketball Tournament Rules
1. Each tournament game will be played until the first team reaches 16 points with a maximum game time of 10 minutes in length.
2. The 10-minute game clock is a continuously running clock including timeouts. The clock will only stop during player emergencies.
3. Each team must have a minimum of 3 and maximum of 4 players. Each team must select a team captain who will serve as the sole team spokesperson. The team must report to the court at the scheduled time, even if games are “running behind.”
4. All games will be self-officiated by the players in the game only. Fouls, traveling and all other infractions or violations are included. No input will be allowed or be tolerated by non-players. Any questions, complaints or comments should be taken up with the court monitor by the team captain only.
5. The team captain must report to tournament registration table after each game for updated team information.
6. The tournament registration table will serve as the information center. Game times and all other information will be updated as game results are turned in to the information center.
1. There will be two (2) age groups, 12-16 and 17+.
2. Eligibility problems will be addressed from the time of discovery. No replay of games or adjustments will be allowed for previous tournament games and standings involving the team in question.
3. Players may appear on only one team for the duration of the tournament. Each player must exhibit respect, honesty and integrity at all times when participating in tournament events.
1. Each team will be given one 30-second timeout per game. The game clock does not stop during timeouts. There will be no timeouts during the last minute of play.
2. Player substitution may take place on all dead ball situations, but must be beckoned by the court monitors. Players who enter the playing court without being summonsed by a court monitors will receive a technical foul.
3. Team roster changes will not be permitted once the tournament begins, except for injury or illness.
1. A coin flip will determine which team has starting possession in all games including overtime.
2. The ball must be thrown in from the top of the court to start play on each change of possession. In addition, an opposing team member must check the ball prior to throwing the ball into play each time.
3. During game play the ball must be “taken back” on each change of possession. Both feet must be behind the 3-point line for game play to continue after the change of possession. Any violations of this will result in loss of the possession of the ball.
4. The ball will be considered out of bounds if it passes over the top edge of the backboard or touches the back side of the backboard, mounting brackets or arms. All surfaces on the front side of the backboard including padding under and around the sides of the backboard are considered inbounds. This would include the padding on the front of the basketball system base.
1. Each basket scored inside the 3-point line will be 1 point. Each basket scored outside the 3-point line will be 2 points.
2. The team who reaches 16 first will win. If the time runs out before a team could reach 16, the team with the most points win. If the game is tied when time runs out, the game will go into “last-point-win” overtime.
1. If a player is fouled in the act of shooting and basket is not made, no foul shots will be given; the team will get the ball back at the top of the key.
2. If the foul is deemed flagrant, by the court monitor, it will be an automatic basket plus the ball.
Entry fee is $25/team. 3 players per team required—up to 5 players allowed. This 3-on-3 tournament is a double elimination tournament so you are guaranteed to play at least 2 games. Do not accept checks, cash only.
Entry Form must be completed and entry fee paid at New Beginnings Church 3301 Broadway, Sacramento, Ca 95817, by April 25, 2012. No refunds will be given. Bracket/rules will be sent to Team Captain by April 30, 2012. If you have any questions, please contact Sam Vaden at 916-519-5223.
Tournament will be held at McClatchy Park, 3500 5 Ave, Sacramento, Ca 95817. Each game will be played on half-size court. Game length will be approximately 10 minutes.
You may down load and print the document for both age groups or email for more information.